Monday, November 4, 2013

Hospitality

A few months ago, I was recovering from having houseguests back-to-back for several weeks.  I mentioned to a friend that I was glad no one was going to visit us for awhile.  She responded, "Well, I guess you just don't have the gift of hospitality."

I was so surprised and hurt by her statement that I just sat there for a moment.  And then I said (hopefully calmly), "There is a lot more to hospitality than having someone spend the night in your house."

Like many concepts, the word "hospitality" has taken on different meanings over the years.  Biblically, it often meant to have someone stay with you... to provide shelter, safety, and food to the stranger.  Now, the "hospitality industry" refers mainly to tourism (people who can pay for their shelter, safety, food, and entertainment).  We throw around the word hospitality in our churches... mainly meaning welcoming newcomers or providing food for coffee hour.

For me, hospitality does still invoke inviting people into my home, but it is also much more than that.  Hospitality is about the relationship between a host and a guest.  It is about respect.  It is about inviting people into my heart, regardless of geographic location.  I can be hospitable anywhere: in a cafe, in a church, on the street, even in my friend's home.

If hospitality just meant to the people you invite into your house... how's that a spiritual gift?  How many people invite strangers into their house (not including friends of friends for parties)?  Does that only allow for people with houses to be hospitable?

The root of the matter is to treat everyone I meet like a respected guest.  It means making eye contact.  Listening.  Providing physical or spiritual nourishment.

As it says in Hebrews 13:2...
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

No comments:

Post a Comment