Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What do I have to be thankful for?

Every year about the end of October, I sigh and groan and say swear words.  Not the most appropriate way to begin planning my yearly healing anniversary party.  Back in 1996, I was healed of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome while taking communion at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Lewisburg, PA.  (More about that in this post...)  I figured, or maybe God told me, that the reason to be healed so spectacularly was so that I would use my story to begin to talk about God with people.

I didn't realize that I would still be so reluctant to discuss my faith with people this many years after that experience.  So, I force myself to throw an anniversary party every year and tell my healing story.  I force myself to invite people that I may not otherwise ever let know that I'm a practicing Christian.

Last year, as I was moaning and complaining, I thought, "Why do I have to do this now?  Why in November?  This is such a hard season for me with my struggles with depression."  And then, I realized that November was the perfect month to force me to throw a party that was about joy and gratitude, precisely because it is such a hard time of year for me.

So, if you see me around in the months when the days are shrinking, ask me about my healing story, or just ask me about what makes me joyful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment